Our logo has been designed by our dear friend and fellow member Xavier Diverres, in the early days of Hackuarium. It is available under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Switzerland (CC BY 3.0 CH) license. Please share freely but accordingly.
Not fancying himself as a graphic designer (he prefers interactions and interfaces), Xavier made a pretty good job nonetheless!
(.eps and .zip versions are coming at some point)
We wanted a water-based animal to play with the words Hackuarium / Aquarium, the octopus was chosen because he can grabs many things, the octopus is also an animal with a distributed brain: each tentacle has an independent brain, still the octopus acts as a single organism. This represents well the spirit of our community.
Base4, downloadable here at Dafont.
We first started investigating the idea of a logo and proposed it on networks at the beginning of the space. Looking at the history, it seems it has happend like this:
- Shalf posted on our Facebook page: "To make it serious we'll need a logo!"
- Yann Pierson thought: "What did the others do? If we want to be "hackers" we'll need to reach out, reach out far and a lot! What animal could be the best? An octopus! He came up with this research that showed the orientation for the "water based animals". Maybe a medusa?
- Then he designed the big black octopus picture below but as the others correctly said: "It's way too complicated" =)
- Robin posted on Faceboook again the collaborative work made over one Open Hackuarium
- So Xavier did his magic and came with the final result! It was first presented to the world here again (you guessed the medium).
Below is a full gallery of the sketches that lead to the final logo.
First came the inspiration
- Hackurium Logo Sketch 16.png
The following sketches were recored in the process (mostly during an Open Hackuarium).
They then took shape.
They get closer and closer to the final product.