20160919 Board meeting
Agenda of the Board Meeting
Date: Monday, September 19th, 19.30-21.30pm
- Luc as president
- Sam (remote from Grenoble)
- Anne-Laure (diseased)
(Luc, 2 min)
Point 0.1: public minutes
(Luc, 1 min)
Get ok from all board members to upload minutes on wiki (or else discuss alternative below)
Point 0.2: Actionables
-> send invoice for membership fee using Smallinvoice.ch -> Luc (up to end July, then for 3 months) -> NOT DONE
-> Send a summary with membership fees and conditions -> NOT DONE
-> make a slide to insist at OH that people should talk about the place and advertise for it and become members (and how) -> DONE but needs to be DONE AGAIN -> Ask each members to find an idea for a 3h workshop in 2017
To board members:
-> Identify and break down tasks for the board
-> Each of the board members think of tasks they can give to members and supervise
-> Email board member and ask for dedication (2 hours a week + list of tasks) -> Luc to present at this board meeting
-> Every board member should really take care of motivating members -> let's insist this time again
-> Anne-Laure makes a list of people to invite in 2017
-> Implement key performance indicators until the next General Assembly on Wednesday 14th December 2016 (Gianpaolo and Sam are are charge of monitoring here)
-> Profile for 2 interns, including tasks and skills
-> List of projects that need help
-> Next board meetings 19th of Sept. 24th October, 28th November -> Luc sent a reminder on 31st August to board members
-> Next General Assembly on Wednesday December 14th (during Openhackuarium #128, followed by a fondue).
-> Luc asks Marc about the projector -> email sent on 31.08.2016
-> Luc clarifies the role of Juliette and how we can help her help us
-> Every board member sends an email/call to 2-3 active projects and check where they are and report at the next board meeting, what is stopping you, what would you need to come more often
-> Gianpaolo will check the price for distilled water
-> Luc asks Cyanoguard what he expects from the lab. NOT DONE
-> Luc asks Luc about bioreactor documentation -> DONE, Luc still needs to insist to make sure it is now completed properly
-> Sam asks Marion about Air Sampler on OH. DONE
-> Make sure we have a list of tasks to get people on board -> post-its with projects and tasks so that people can sign-up.
-> Sam gets RFID stickers to attach to the main card.
-> Sam makes primary twitter channel and see how many unfollow (1month)
-> Luc sends Pi workshop tweets. DONE
-> Yann sends Facebook message with Hackuarium. DONE
Point 1: Project Updates
It is important that every board member stays up to date with all main projects. Add link when relevant.
Hackuarium in general
- Board: Redefine roles: Board members have a task and commit to it, they invest time and energy in a tangible way.
- Association: Maybe I'm just the one losing track but I have the feeling things are not moving or are just going randomly in any direction
- Do we try to set ourselves a goal as an association and try to push most of the members in this direction ? If we want to make an impact we have to pool our ressources no ? We have some main projects going well since people are independent and work as a team but we also have a lot of free electrons we could catalyse in something bigger ? WDYT ?
Gianpaolo (5min) What is Hackuarium today, what is the 1 year and 5 year impact that we want to accomplish?
- The OpenHackuarium
- Hackuarium as DIY-laboratory, coworking-laboratory
- Hackuarium as flagship model of openscience projects
- The board and president of Hackuarium KPI 2016 presences
- Hackuarium or UC?
-> Gianpaolo choose a date in Dec-January to talk about this
UniverCité Community meeting
Update from Luc (5 min)
- Co-design of architecture on October (ask Juliette about details)
Update from Yann (1min to 10min)
- Where are we going ?
- How do we avoid UC becoming just another coworking?
- Do we want to put energy into this when I (Yann) feel no return whatsoever and mostly a loss of time and energy ?
Update from Yann P. (5min) - BSO title obtained - Wall and renovation problems.
- When are those renovations due ?
- What do we do with the material ?
- Sam was talking about amovible walls
- Yann: PhD and followings
Update from Gianpaolo (5min)
- Web app architecture (Marco). It automagically recreates the graphs as new beers are introduced. http://decodedbeer-twoba.rhcloud.com/polls/beerchart_json/
- The database works well back-end.
- Help needed on Front-end (design). (Vanessa?)
- Help needed on algorithms to mangle data. (Jonathan keen to do some work now that the PhD has been defended)
- Bench work
- Work done:
- 96 beer pellets (Gianpaolo)
- 96 DNA extractions (Gabrielle)
- 192 PCRs: 96 x 16s bacteria, 96 x ITS fungi (Nicolas), --> sent to genomic facility for sequencing.
- Only 39 PCR (ITS) are OK for sequencing.
- New team member Isabelle, keen to work on the bench from October 1st.
- QC at Hackuarium
- Probably need for a more clean area to work with DNA (Gustavo, see P1 discussion)
- After a DNA extraction, do we have DNA? Is it pure or contaminated? (Open nanodrop: Sam, Jochem)
- After a PCR, did the PCR worked? Has it the right band size?
- Bento prototype returned to factory. Final device expected in November.
Update from Sam (5min)
In Grenoble, coaching scientists on how to use the rover.
Point 2: Funding Applications
A new application will be submitted at the Loterie Romande for 20'000 CHF. Deadline is October 15th.
Luc has a list here, and will keep writing emails as soon as he has time.
Point 3: Future partnerships
EPFL - Engineering and Architect internships
Mike Horn pole2pole
Video for crowdfunding done on Wednesday 14th of September.
Challenge for ideas how to use the crowd.
Joint Outreach with SIB
Waiting for Marie-Claude Blatter to come back to us. Reminder email sent on 31.08.2016, answered on 01.09.2016
She discussed with Nicolas Guex et Marco Pagni (Vital It SIB). A brief summary is available here.
Ideas include RNA seq on samples to see if there are metabolically active species in clouds. A first sampling session would give an idea (on Oct. 1st with baloon launch?). SIB can only bring expertise in data analysis. The sequencing costs and handling would have to be done with another partner (UNIL, Keith Harshman / Fasteris).
Point 4: Finance
Point 5: Upcoming OpenHackuarium nights
It is important that we announce events and stick to the plan. We already discussed the issue at the last board meeting and little has been done.
Very proud to say we have several events already planned this autumn:
Still need to plan the following events:
Molecular Biology day/evening
Luc (3 min)
Was moved to mid-october so we can advertise for it at the Openhackuarium vol. 116.
- WHEN? 2016.10.19 Wednesday 19:30-22:00: Openhackuarium vol. 120
- WHO? Luc + Gianpaolo + young researchers from neighbouring institutions. Let's make a list and contact them.
- WHAT? Discussion around the state of the art as well as basic mol biol technologies.
Topics to be included in the discussion:
- DNA (5 min introduction)
- Genes (5 min introduction)
- GM (how it is applied in bacteria, years, cells, animal, plants)
- CRISPR (5 min introduction to the technique, and why it's hype)
- Biotech (5 min on why all this is relevant)
Machine learning for image recognition
- WHO? Yann P. + young researchers from neighbouring institutions. Let's make a list and contact them.
- WHAT? A friend of Yann P. wants to present and bring a concrete case where we can show how with a RasPi we can differentiate things. A useful tech if for ex we want to look at wastes sorting.
Point 5bis: Other Events
- Upcoming Raspi Workshop #2
- How to use an Oscilloscope https://www.meetup.com/octanis/events/233772444/
- Balloon BBQ
- Design Thinking crash course https://www.meetup.com/octanis/events/233767210/
- Gianpaolo's pipette & beyond workshop
- Ethics discussion (Luc)
Point 6: Infrastructure & IT
(Sam, 5 min)
Are we happy with that?
It is in a beta testing mode, needs more
Are we happy with that?
Point 7: Hacktion
Point 8: Replication
(Luc, 5 min) 3 projects in 2017
How far did we go?
- Octanis hacked the Ocean Optics Spectrometer (200-1100nm) already
- UV light source (Yann?) and SMA905 UV fibre optic cables (50usd ebay) missing
- Yann: We can use the leds for sure. I still got several of them! I don't think we need optical fibers because we can use UV detectors.
- Good for DNA QC in future P1 (-> 230nm, 260nm, 280nm)
- Yep of course it is necessary for quantification! We could have gone low-cost and rely on the gel intensity.