2017.16.11 Thursday 10:30 - 16:30pm SWILABS meeting
SWILABS – Swiss public biolabs network
3rd meeting – 16.11.2017 – Ideatorio - Lugano
A network of public and/or open/collaborative laboratories.
Main presence from public labs, funded by public money, several employees/professionals and clear opening hours. Hackuarium, Hackteria and GaudiLabs are the only open-labs represented. Almost all the presents have a scientific education/background. Some interesting conclusions.
- Bioscope / Candice Yvon
- Gaudilab / Urs Gaudenz
- Hackteria / Marc Dusseiller
- Hackuarium / Rachel Aronoff – Vanessa Lorenzo Toquero
- L'ideatorio / Gilda Guidici – Riccardo Rezzonico – Giovanni Pellegri
- Lab2Rue / Guillaume Murat – Chantal Wicky
- Leitung Life Science Learning Center / Daniel Kieper
- L'éprouvette / Delphine Ducoulombier – Séverine Trouilloud
- Science on Stage / Interpharma / Janine Hermann
Interpharma – Science on Stage and Basel labs
Janine from Interpharma
She is also teacher chemistry 10%
Interpharma --> Lab
Swiss science teacher network
European network Science on Stage
mainly for teenagers
17th November 2018 Technorama competition in Winthertur (teachers, schools) no fee, but cover travels, ticket festival and housing : techers show what they do in the school
She is in representation of a friend from
Experio Roche, open workshop for schools, 3 months in advance open call for participants
In representation of a friend from
Roche, same for classroom
She develop a BioApp game for schools
Bioscope – new workshops and citizen science projects
Celine from Bioscope
Unige public biolab (what is public ? Funded by public money)
They organise citizen science projects ( what is it? Bottom up or top-down ?)
Collab : natural history museum gva rts planete sante migros mag lemanB, education & hospital authorities and teachers
2018 --> Science Sex Identity
They work with HUG, espace des invention à Lausanne, etc.
Hackteria – recent collaborations, GOSH, BioFabbing, Biohack Retreat Klöntal
Open source collabortive art. Also, actor in alternative teaching methodology.
The rise of independant community biolabs (biohackerspaces) and cultural institutions running school biolabs, over the last 10 years have questioned the authority of universities research institutions being the sole player in the field of additional public education and participation of youth, general public in the field of the life sciences.
He talked about Gosh --> Luc Patiny, Octanis, Daniel HErnandez, Rachel ???
GaudiLabs – Thirds place for a third culture
Urs from GaudiLabs
Open biolab, invites, hosts and helps people (high profile scientist or non-scienctist) to pursue their projects. Self organized residency.
Lab2rue – playing with worms
Teching teachers how to teach with new methods. (Their method with C. Elegans compared with human reproductive system and more... is questioned cause is already done somehow, although never this exact way).
Learn with Elegans (Apprendre avec elegance)
Teaching teacher and preparing new methodology and educational material
Uni – Fribourg
Hackuarium – new P1 lab, scientific paper, crowfunding
Vanessa Lorenzo and Rachel Aronoff
Open collaborative biolab, biohackerspace
Update on P1
First Scientific paper BeerDecoded
Life Science Learning Center, Zürich – precision medicine
Life Science Zurich: Learning Center
Aournd 10 PHD students working on it
L’éprouvette – new workshops on soil, trees, and new projects
Soil Hands Trees
taste memory communication
Napoleon sequence the 238 years old Oak in Lausanne (take the leaves sequence DNA)
Phageback/ discover an alternative treatment for infections with antibiotic resistant to bacteria
Goals, actions, meeting 3 days ? Association, comitee, general assembly, elections ?
We founded the association SWILABS – Swiss public biolabs network, in order to have the possibility to get money to organize events, and pay for transport, hostels, food for the members of the network.
- To know who does what
- To share resources like protocols
- To talk about our experiences
- To do sessions on specific subjects
- To build an online forum
- To do trainings
- To have a "forum" : to exchange with personal issues, infos (like where to find money), documents :
testing discourse.com for now.
- Invite people from out of the network, like artists, to enrich and diversify our approaches and practices.
We agreed to
- do longer meetings of 2-3 days, to really have the time to go deeper in subjects.
- Keep it small for now : only biology labs.
- Ask for 20'000 chf, when the association will be ready.
- Try to have more people of our structures for this meeting.
- Do the next meeting in Zurich
- To have individual members, because it would be too difficult to have institutional members.
- To test discourse.com as a platform.
- Co-presidents : Marc Dusseiller, Daniel Kieper, Séverine Trouilloud.
- Members: all people present in the meeting.
Public does not mean Open. They are compatible though.
The rise of independant community biolabs (biohackerspaces) and cultural institutions running school biolabs, over the last 10 years have questioned the authority of universities research institutions being the sole player in the field of additional public education and participation of youth, general public in the field of the life sciences. (Marc)
For meaninful interesting events: we should include many actors from different backgrounds: social workers, youth/cultural workers, exhibition designers, space and communication, artists, teachers, etc...