Genomic Integrity 2018
Summer 2018 Genomic Integrity Project.
Assessing genomic integrity (showing the amount of damage one's genome has endured) would be of a great help for public health. Unfortunately, the tests allowing to check the genomic integrity can be complex or expensive.
Therefore, the objectives of this internship would be:
- To make a ready to use device: Chip for genomic integrity 2018, the best being automatic, for people (even non-scientist) to use easily;
- To use "kitchen-sink-ingredients" to promote easy to do and safe citizen science;
- Finally, to develop an Automatic Cell Counter Algorithm able to count cells and control different parameters (their sizes, the length of their comet tails and recognition of micronuclei).
- To use a Foldscope<ref>Official website of the Foldcope.Retrieved 2 August 2018.</ref> <ref>Wiki of the hackuarium.Retrieved 28 August 2018.</ref> or a microscope to make photos with a RaspBerry Pi, using an automatic stage;
- DIY Fluorescence Microscope
Precisely, we will use two methods Micronuclei Assay 2018 and Comet Cell Assay 2018, find a way to make the procedures as simple as possible using a chip and make an algorithm to handle the results. For the detailed protocol, see Step by step protocol for comet assay
For both, we tried to replace all the toxic or hard to find components by "kitchen-sink-ingredients", in order to make this technique widely usable by anyone, even without the appropriate equipment.